Everyone knows how annoying mosquitoes can be. Somehow, no matter how many you manage to swat, there always seem to be some that manage to get through to give you a nasty, itchy bite or two.
Here are some facts that you might want to know about mosquitoes:
- Only female mosquitoes bite.
- There are more than 3,500 species of mosquitoes world-wide.
- Mosquito is Spanish for “little fly.”
- A mosquito can drink up to three times its weight in blood.
- They can develop from eggs to adults in just six to ten days.
- They are found close to still water, where their larvae feed and develop
- Female mosquitoes can lay up to 300 eggs at a time
- Mosquitoes will normally bite you at dawn or dusk – or if you’re unlucky, both. That’s when their internal clocks tell them it's feeding time.
Mosquitoes have been around since the Jurassic period. That makes them about 210 million years old. They've been mentioned throughout history, including in the works of Aristotle around 300 B.C. and in writings by Sidonius Apollinaris in 467 B.C.
The bumps from mosquito bites are caused by saliva. While one tube in the proboscis draws blood, a second pumps in saliva containing a mild painkiller and an anti-coagulant. Most people have minor allergic reactions to the saliva, causing the area around the bite to swell and itch.
Mosquitoes are considered the deadliest “animal” in the world. The Anopheles mosquito, in particular, is dangerous because it transmits malaria, which kills more than one million people every year, primarily in Africa. Alexander the Great is believed to have died of malaria in 323 B.C.
Mosquito Control Treatments for your business
If your business has a mosquito problem you’ll want to get rid of it quickly. It’s not only a nuisance for your staff, but it could be bad for your bottom line. The last thing customers want is to be bitten on your premises, and it could damage your reputation.
Once a survey of your premises is complete, your Jentel Pest Management licensed technician will recommend a mosquito control treatment program specially for your needs.
Do I Need Professional Mosquito Control Assistance?
If you are worried about mosquitoes and midges, Jentel Pest Management can offer more professional mosquito control solutions including our Starkey Electronic Fly Killers .
Why call in a professional pest controller for your Mosquito control?
Jentel Pest Management treatment programs are directed at both the larval and adult mosquitoes to achieve effective and efficient control for your home or business.